There are some questions you need to answer even before you start your search.
If you’re a first-time home buyer or someone who hasn’t bought a home recently, we recommend that you begin with an in-person Buyer Consultation. That will enable your Weichert Sales Associate to help you identify and clarify your requirements for your new home and then give you a good idea what to expect when you proceed with your home search.
Here are some questions to ponder as you begin to define the kind of home you really want:
- What style or type of home interests you – contemporary or historic, ranch or colonial?
- How large a home do you want, with how many bedrooms and baths?
- What do you think are the key features? (For example: eat-in kitchen, deck, fireplace, family room or central air conditioning)
- How will you determine whether a location is right for you – schools? Commuting needs? Availability of shopping?
- Would you consider buying a home that is in need of some renovation or expansion?
- Will it be necessary to sell your home to buy your next one?
During your Buyer Consultation, your Sales Associate will also introduce you to one of our Weichert Gold® Services Managers*, a financial expert who can assist you with getting a mortgage credit approval and calculating just how much you can afford to spend.
Once you begin your search, your Weichert Sales Associate can show you any home at all, even if it’s listed with another real estate agency. Whether your interest is piqued by a For Sale sign, an ad in the paper or a listing on a website like weichert.com, your Weichert Sales Associate will be your best resource for learning more of the details. He or she can help you decide if any particular house is worth seeing in person.
Your Sales Associate will begin to work with you by diligently searching the current inventory of available homes to find ones that meet your expectations. He or she will also network in any specific neighborhood you’re interested in, keeping a close watch in order to let you know the moment a new house that fits your criteria comes on the market or when a home you might like drops its price.