CARNOOSIE. This home, which was originally built by M. Lebeschultz in 1860 as a 1 story structure, is principally remembered as the home of the Sheppard family. The home was purchased in 1884 by John Calhoun Sheppard, who became Gov of SC in 1886. Additions to the home in 1891 included the west wing and 2nd story. His son, James, LT Gov of SC lived here until 1920s.