One of the most prominent areas in Queens and one designated by the postal service as an official "town," Flushing sprawls over the entire northeastern portion of the county. Originally named Vlissengen by Quakers from Holland in 1639, the name was changed to Flushing by the English. The Quakers wanted to escape tyranny and enjoy freedom of religion, an underlying spirit of acceptance that prevails in Flushing today. A vast mix of ethnic and cultural groups call Flushing home. The lush foliage and wide variety of trees in Flushing are the legacy of a strong nursery industry in the 18th and 19th centuries. The "downtown district" of Flushing is centered along the subway terminal at Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue and the industrial sector is concentrated near Flushing Creek. Other areas are strictly residential and offer a more tranquil setting of homes in a wide variety of styles. Highlights in Flushing include a number of historic sites, Queens Botanical Garden, and Queens College. The Voelker Orth Museum, Bird Sanctuary, and Victorian Garden is another jewel.